- 1 large butternut squash
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. honey, plus more to taste
- 4 ounces streak o’ lean (or bacon)
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds from the center, and season with salt. Place the squash cut side down on a sheet pan. Bake about
1 hour, until the flesh is fork-tender and the juices begin to caramelize.
2. Set oven to broiler on high heat. Scoop flesh into ovenproof serving dish. Stir in honey. Taste, and season with more salt and honey, as desired. Broil 5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
3. Meanwhile, cook streak o’ lean slowly in cast-iron skillet until fine bubbles form. Remove from pan, and set aside. Discard all but about 2 Tbsp. fat. Over medium heat, cook the rabe in the rendered fat.
4. Serve the butternut squash in a large family-style dish with rabe and streak o’ lean sprinkled on top.
Recipe courtesy of Ben Thompson, Rock Barn